Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Recipe: Easy Smoked Sea Salt!

Chaos erupted in our household lately so the foodie blog was set aside for a while but I'm BACK! And I have an easy new recipe for you.

I have plans to try a new recipe out on my family this week but the recipe called for smoked sea salt and of course, it only called for a sprinkle of it. I looked for it online because I hadn't consciously seen it in my local supermarket and wanted to see how rare it was. Turns out it is relatively easy to find but it's expensive! You can get 6oz of it for only $13. (Artisan Salt Company- Durango Hickory Smoked Salt) I realize that $13 wont break anyone's bank but since I only needed a sprinkle, I wanted to see how to make the stuff myself.

Sea Salt, mixed and spread out on the
 cookie sheet ready for cooking!
I found a few recipes that use a grill with hickory or mesquite chips and a foil pan of salt. It looked like it was pretty easy but I live in an apartment now and we don't have a covered grill. So I needed an alternative. So here's what I did.

Smoked Sea Salt- The Easy Way!

1/2 cup of course sea salt
1 tablespoon of liquid smoke

Liquid Smoke comes in different
flavors. I used Mesquite.
Mix the salt and liquid smoke together in a small bowl and then spread out on a foil lined cookie sheet. Put in the oven on the lowest temperature setting. (My oven's lowest was 200*.) Leave in the oven for about an hour or until the salt appears dry. You may want to stir the salt around once just to get it good and dry. Remove from the oven and let set until cool. Once cool, place into a closed container.

Note: Make sure you have a course salt otherwise, it will just dissolve in the liquid smoke. Liquid smoke comes in several different flavors. My recipe called for Mesquite so that's what I used.

When you use it, if you want a finer grain salt, put it into a salt grinder. I used my Magic Bullet to pulse it into a finer salt and it worked great!



The finished product!
This method worked beautifully and it made the whole place smell like we were having one amazing barbecue!

No comments:

Post a Comment